Friday, April 26, 2019

Go Fast, Pull Up: The Jimmy Levan Story...


I still haven't seen this yet.  I don't have a DVD player at my house, mostly because I don't have a house.  But you probably do.  Jimmy Levan is one crazy cat.  He's funny, he's cool to hang out with, he goes fast, and he goes BIG. This video/book set about his life is available, right now, on DVD or Blu-Ray at the Block Bikes Online Store, right here.  Or you can read this post, and then buy it .

I met Jimmy way back in the dark ages of the early 1990's.  It was 1991, and Chris Moeller, the pro racer, crazy jumper, S&M Bikes owner, tapped me to make the first S&M Bikes video.  Young Jimmy rode for them back then.  On one trip down to Chris' tiny apartment, for a weekend of shooting video, I met these two kids, Jimmy Levan and his friend Barstow.  Barstow probably had a real name, but I never heard it all weekend.  So we crashed on the floor of the long, narrow, "Winnebago" apartment, drank a few beers at night, and went riding and shooting video during the day.  S&M Bikes was run out of a single car garage then, and money was damn near non-existent.  The sessions were fun, cheap, and gritty. But who cares?

We hit a ditch in Westminster, near the infamous P.O.W. House, we rode in the back of Chris' pick-up truck, and we hit the Santa Ana Civic Center, one of our favorite street spots in those days.  Then we hit Magnolia in Huntington Beach, a sometimes soggy trails area in the wetlands by the H.B. power plant.  That whole video, S&M Bikes Feel My Leg Muscles, I'm a Racer, had a total budget of about $250, including beer money.  And it looks like it:



It was a fun weekend, and I'm the guy who shot all the footage in this section, which I'm pretty sure is Jimmy Levan's first ever video segment.  That's another reason I need to see this video.  Anyhow, in a taste of things to come, Jimmy jumps the Civic Center pyramid at 2:00 in the clip above, which is about 30 to 35 feet across, off of a really mellow bank.  It takes some serious racer speed to jump that, and Chris Moeller, himself, was the only other person I saw do it back then.  Even as a young buck, Jimmy let us know that he would rack up a bunch of frequent flyer miles on his bike in the years ahead. So enjoy this clip, and click the link below to grab your copy of Go Fast Pull Up.

No comments:

Post a Comment