Thursday, May 23, 2019

Getting over a mental block in Moab


This young couple is Syd and Macky.  She's Syd, he's Macky, and that beautiful backdrop is the Moab, Utah area.  I just found this video looking for some cool riding stuff outside of the BMX world, which the blog is centered around.  Both of these two have some solid mountain bike skills, which is part of the reason they have their own You Tube channel.  In this particular video, Syd has a mental block about this sketchy drop she tried, and landed... once.  She rolled away, but in a burly nosedive, and it scared her more.  Her mental block grew.

I can totally relate.  In my serious riding days, mental blocks were the main thing I spent 20 years wrestling with on my BMX freestyle bike.  A serious mental block kept me from landing bunnyhop tailships before anyone could do one, and kept me from ever landing one clean (I managed a few toe dragger ones on night).  That STILL bugs the crap out of me 30 years later.  Coming from an overly-intellectual, non-athletic family, I overthought everything.  I wound up spending years learning about our mental processes afterwards, trying to understand what held me back.  Anyone else out had that issue?  I thought so.

So Syd and Macky ride a loop, do some other, pretty damn technical lines, and then head to the scary drop.  Great little video, some really good riding, and beautiful scenery.  Moab is one of those places I really want to make it to some day.  Remember, if you dig their video, giving them a like and subscribing to their channel helps their cause. 

If you do this type of riding in SoCal, we've got the bikes and components for you here at the Block Shop in Lancaster.  If you're a BMXer, we've got the new online store to hook you up most anywhere you are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment