Monday, May 27, 2019

The Birth of the Freestyle Movement- 2nd Edition signing party- Part 2


A stack of the books for sale.  There were various packages with T-shirts, stickers, and other goodies to buy.  Since I'm just making a come back from being really down and out, I had to hold off on getting one for now. I'm DEFINITELY going to buy one of these when I can.  Dominic Phipps did specifically come over to me, introduce himself, and tell me I either have a line or two in the book, or a credit.  Because I write so many blog posts about the old days, he contacted me a while ago and I told him about the Vision Street Wear days.  If you rode in the 80's, or are younger and want to know learn about your history, you NEED to get this book.  This event was held at 10 Barrel Brewing Company in San Diego, CA, on May 25, 2019.
 This is one of the big photos that was displayed at the book signing party.  It's Dave Voelker blasting ten feet out in a attempt to set the official, Guiness World Records highest air, at an event at the Olympic Velodrome in 1987.  I believe Brian Blyther edged out this air of Dave's and got the record with a 10' 2" air.  That's off the 8 foot high, 8 foot wide, "rickety, AFA/Socko wooden quarterpipe, by the way.  I'm pretty sure that this event was the first world record BMX air event recognized by Guiness.  I was working for the AFA at the time, and helped Bob Morales set up this event.
 For any of you that read my old school stories on my personal blog, you I know I think of myself as a mediocre rider from the 80's, and mostly an industry guy who "just happened to be standing nearby" when a lot of cool BMX moments happened.  This is a close-up of the Voelker photo above, and that's me in the background, in the light blue T-shirt, behind the ladder, shooting photos for the AFA newsletter.  My life in the 80's freestyle world, encapsulated in a single photo.  Dave Voelker blasting epic air, and I'm ten feet away doing my industry guy thing, watching history happen. 
 The table of books up for sale, and three donated bikes that were raffled off later in the evening.  Mike Dominguez and John Povah bought so many raffle tickets that their names got pulled out 5 or 6 times each.  They waved off most of the prizes, but each took a little prize pack home.
 NorCal and Skyway represent.  L to R: unknown, unknown, Marc McKee, Mat Hoffman, Mike Golden, Maurice Meyer.  If anyone can fill in the unknowns (Drob?), let me know.
 Dean Palacios on the left talking.  I think he was a Pipeline Skatepark local back in the day.  If I'm wrong, let me know.
I think these are all Skyway riders, same line-up as above, with more added.  L to R: Hugo Gonzales, unknown, unknown, Mark McKee, Mat Hoffman, Robert Peterson, Mike Golden, Maurice Meyer, Scott(y) Freeman.  Yeah, he's 40-something now, but I still want to call him "Scotty," since he was 13 when he burst on the national scene.  Old habits die hard.  Again, if anyone can fill in the blanks, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment