Saturday, May 18, 2019

X-Games Real BMX 2019: Simone Barraco


Simone's riding is a little more tech, a little less huge.  Good use of front wheel tricks, to mix things up a bit.  A great video clip all around.  But I'm going to stay with Brad Simms as my overall favorite of these six videos.  Again, that's just me, an old blogger who doesn't ride seriously these days. 

I don't know how the X-Games crew picks which riders to include, and that's always an issue, because there are so many good riders out there.  But these six were a good mix of different types and styles of street riding. 

As a video producer from way back in the olden days, some of the editing decisions baffle me these days.  If I was making a 90 second video for a competition, like this, I would not show any trick more than once.  Get one good angle and move on.  I would use very little, if any, slo-mo.  My cutaway shots would be about 12 to 20 frames long, super quick.  I would have almost no pedaling up to tricks, unless it was a mega gap where it helped to show the speed going in.  The first thing I learned from my video mentor, Dave Alvarez, was "keep it tight."  By that he meant, don't have a single frame of garbage that you don't need to make the piece work.  There's a lot of unneeded footage in most of today's videos. 

Anyhow, there it is, the six videos submitted in this year's X-Games Real BMX 2019.  It just occurred to me that I don't know who actually won.  My pick is Brad Simms, for the best overall video.  What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment